Category Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Category Recommendations

Post by HC on Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:29 pm

Feel free to let me know if I should add more categories...

For example, I'm currently considering creating "Upcoming Releases" section, where I can post all the teasers from the promos that I get... but I don't want to constantly moderate that and presumable move posts from "Upcoming Releases" to something like "Recommended Releases" especially if it's past the street date... Thoughts?

Also... if the Recommended Releases section becomes too big, perhaps I'll have to break it down further into some sort of manageable categories (styles / genres?). Again, I'll play it by ear...
HC
Admin

View user profile http://reviews.headphonecommute.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Category Recommendations

Post by jkn on Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:31 pm

Let it grow, split when needed. Don't get too many categories too soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by UrsaBorealis on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:20 am

I'm with jkn. Let it grow organically. Not too many categories. Humans are pretty good at finding needles in haystacks and lose stuff tucked away in folders. UB

Back to top Go down

Post by HC on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:27 am

Thank you for the recommendations. I'm definitely going that route! (although, OK, I just added a separate section for all the hifi discussion! Smile)
HC
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAM on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:48 pm

not so much a category suggestion but a thread suggestion: it's useful to have occasional rolling threads on a general theme/topic.

other music forums often have one entitled something like "what are you currently enjoying?".  it would be a rolling thread where people can post about new/current listening (link to a review, stream, video, etc.), making it easy collect suggestions in one place.  

obviously, when someone feel strongly about an artist or record, they can of course still start a separate thread for the artist/record, but that can lead to a million separate threads with few responses in no time.  

just a thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by HC on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:53 pm

Hey JAM, thank you for the suggestion! I have a question - what are the pros/cons of one rolling thread with multiple pages of different things people are listening to and hundreds of messages in one topic vs. hundreds of topics with one message (or two) in each?

I know that unread topics show up with a different icon, and are sorted by the most recent activity, where as withing one thread everything is sequential. Also when searching, topics become a bit more cohesive.

Either way, we can try it and see how it goes.
HC
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAM on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:11 pm

hey HC. i'm sure there are pros/cons to both, and i'm not suggesting you have one instead of the other. i totally think the majority of artists/albums deserve a separate thread of their own.

it's just that sometimes i might really be going through a phase where i'm enjoying an old terry riley album and would love to share that news (and perhaps turn someone else on to it) but i don't really have anything to say about the album or expect others to discuss it at length, so seems like a rolling thread is a good spot to drop it in.

also, when i come to a forum, i always click the "view posts since last visit". if someone added to the rolling thread, it would be highlighted there.

again, just a thought.

thx.

Back to top Go down

Sales and discounts

Post by floydkelley on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:42 pm

As an avid music collector, I'd love to see a section that was dedicated to specials and sales. Recently, raster-noton had a 25% off deal going on and I almost missed it. Both 12k and LINE have annual clearance sales as well as Dragon's Eye.

Back to top Go down

Post by HC on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Great idea, Floyd! Creating a forum for that now...
HC
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top