"Best of" lists, why are we doing it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Best of" lists, why are we doing it?

Post by Sadguru on Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Hello people,

Another "food for thought" topic. Don't worry, I won't flood the message board with those sixty-four-dollar questions Smile Anyway, here we go. By end of year, we all are (myself incl.) eager to make our "top of the year" list and share it people. But why? To you, why is it that we LOVE making those? Why are you doing it?

Cheers

Back to top Go down

Re: "Best of" lists, why are we doing it?

Post by JAM on Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:06 pm

it's simple, really: i enjoy reading other people's best-ofs because there is often the opportunity for me to learn about an album i've never heard of, or one that i didn't rate previously but will now reconsider and if my list can turn someone else on to something they didn't previously know about, then that's cool too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sadguru on Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:01 pm

Yes, those lists are a great discovery tool for sure. As far as I'm concerned, it's not the core reason as of why I like doing them. And I'm not saying what it is, it's my dirty little secret. Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by HC on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:27 am

Sometimes for me it's actually the opposite of "love" of making lists, and is mostly "agony" because I can't possibly compile all the great music I heard in the year... Yet, I still do it. It's like a bookmark for the year. If I absolutely had to summarize a year in music, this would be the way.

But why is it somehow related to end of December? Why can't that "bookmark" be in March? What sets apart albums released in September from those coming up in February? A number depicting human tendency to measure earth rotation? Why is a 2012 album any "older" than the "2014"? In fact, like good wine, music that survives throughout the years has to be THAT MUCH BETTER... Don't you think?
HC
Admin

View user profile http://reviews.headphonecommute.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sadguru on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:33 pm

To answer my original question: "Why are we doing it?". Here's a little analogy to illustrates my point. You are the owner of a small beach, on which you walk daily. On the said beach, there's all kind of minerals, but mostly grey-ish, ordinary, common rocks. One day, you stumble on an ocean-blue sapphire. You can leave it there, but you don't, you want it close to you; so it ends up in your pocket. Once a week, you stumple upon another very special gem (ruby, opals, diamond etc.), which you bring back home, in your invaluable, private collection.

As you probably guessed, the gemstones are your "best of" albums, and the private collection would refer to your "best of" list.

Therefore, we could say that ultimately, we do "best of" lists to keep what we like close to ourselves, not wanting those "gems" to get lost in the myriad of mundate "rocks". The idea of "bookmarking" the year, as HC puts it, also reflects this idea. I think that's the core reason.  

And I absolutely agree, music that stands the test of time must and SHOULD be evaluated higher than the one which doesn't. Unfortunately, one year is just not enough to make a fair judgement, in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top