My home studio setup

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My home studio setup

Post by fpaterlini on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:22 am

Hello guys! Nice to find a lot of "known" faces in here!
Hopefully you are interested in my gears, I am so proud of them Smile

So, the core of my home studio is an RME UCX audio interface - powerful, small and fast. In here i connect a MacBook Pro (I currently use Ableton as DAW, switching from years and years of Pro Tools usage)  and my Kawai MP8ii as main keyboard (an electric piano actually) which i found extremely helpful since its keys are not only weighted but are real wooden Keys.

As external gear I am currently using:

- a 1976 Rhodes Piano: I bought it almost 10 years ago, then completely restored it. It took me plenty of time, but it was a great feeling to fix it and bring it as new!
- an awesome 1977 ARP Odyssey (MkII): this one is my favourite machine in the studio! I simply love it, sounds incredibly funky!
- Dynachord Echochord S2: tape echo lovers, this is for you. This heavy box is from the '60, one of the best tape echoes ever built! Sounds incredibly warm (due to the tubes) and brings you immediately in those years. I use it mainly with the Rhodes.
- Roland Chorus Echo RE 301: it took me a long time before deciding which Space/Chorus echo to get. I loved them ALL, but this one here sounds me a little bit more "psycadelic" then the other two. And guess what? This perfectly marries the ARP Odyssey.
- Roland CR 78: this wooden box is absolutely awesome and I discovered it perfectly fits with the music I am composing right now. Also this one goes into the RE 301.
- Catalinbread Echorec pedal, until i'll get a real Binson
- Korg KP3: I use this live on the piano I am playing, mainly for delays.

Ok that's it, more or less, or at least this is the most interesting part Smile

Back to top Go down

Re: My home studio setup

Post by HC on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:15 am

Awesome setup. I'm kind of surprised that you don't have an upright piano, though. Perhaps I've already asked you that.
HC
Admin

View user profile http://reviews.headphonecommute.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fpaterlini on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:19 am

When it comes to recording on a piano, I usually go to the Studio i've been going for years and in there I play a Yamaha C3. An upright piano will perfectly fit in my studio as soon as i'll be finishing my new studio set up... still deciding which one to buy, though Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by jkn on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:33 am

You already know I love your vintage hardware! I've got the Roland RE-201 Space Echo I got from a friend a few years ago. I believe I'm only the 3rd owner.

I've got a wonderful Yamaha upright - last year they made them in Japan before moving production to the US (for the US market). It's... a massive ton of weight in a small Euro style package. When we moved I warned the moving guys it was very heavy and me being scrawny non-muscled guy- they said "it'll be no problem" - then the two guys lifted it - and said "ok - get the other guys.". ;-) It sounds... incredible.

And desperately needs tuned. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by fpaterlini on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:50 am

I learned to play the piano on a very good Shultze - Polmann upright piano. Then, when I moved, i went in a small flat in Milan and I hadn't any space except for myself.
But now I am moving in a bigger house where i'll have a proper space for a studio and of course first thing i'll do is to to put an upright piano in there. Years ago I put my hands on a Petroff and I was so impressed. But again, choosing the right piano is a work of art itself, so i already know it will take time....

Back to top Go down

Post by HC on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:36 pm

I always dreamed of having a baby grand. Finally I bought the Yamaha about 8 years ago. Since then I moved (let's see...) two times, and the whole move was very pricey. I don't think I'm moving this piano again -- lol -- someone should come in and buy it right from my house this time!
HC
Admin

View user profile http://reviews.headphonecommute.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top