Gold standard albums

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gold standard albums

Post by cel76 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:37 am

Occasionally I come across albums where (almost) every single track on the record is 5 star. What are your 5 star rated albums where there are (almost) no weak tracks?

Back to top Go down

Re: Gold standard albums

Post by cel76 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:26 am

Ok I'll go first.

Max Richter - Memoryhouse

I can't fault that album, the whole thing is remarkable. I was lucky enough to hear it played at the Barbican in London earlier this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by JAM on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:23 pm

it's at the 180-degree opposite end of the spectrum from the usual HC stuff but...i'd say the first, self-titled Killing Joke album. So solid, every track is a perfect piece to the whole.

and now that i think about it, maybe "taking tiger mountain by strategy".

Back to top Go down

Post by cel76 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:11 am

JAM wrote:it's at the 180-degree opposite end of the spectrum from the usual HC stuff but...i'd say the first, self-titled Killing Joke album.  So solid, every track is a perfect piece to the whole.

I'll check them out. Loved Killing Joke - Requiem (A Floating Leaf Always Reaches The Sea Dub Mix) ever since hearing it on Andrew Weatherall's legendary essential mix back in 1993.

Back to top Go down

Post by JAM on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:42 am

cel76 wrote:
JAM wrote:it's at the 180-degree opposite end of the spectrum from the usual HC stuff but...i'd say the first, self-titled Killing Joke album.  So solid, every track is a perfect piece to the whole.

I'll check them out. Loved Killing Joke - Requiem (A Floating Leaf Always Reaches The Sea Dub Mix) ever since hearing it on Andrew Weatherall's legendary essential mix back in 1993.

that remix is good, but be prepared: the first album is much more harsh, heavy distorted punk/metal type hybrid that somehow also has a precision sheen that's kind of brutal in parts.

Back to top Go down

Post by JAM on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:38 am

i also assume we're not including things like "sgt. pepper" and "abbey road", right? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by cel76 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:25 pm

Lol there are no rules but from a purely selfish perspective I'm interested in discovering incredible gems that I'm not familiar with. There's too much music to discover these days. Just look at HC's annual "best of" series. Even that takes me months and months to digest Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by cel76 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:29 pm

Having said that I'm glad you called out the Killing Joke album because I've never listened to it and really should.

Back to top Go down

Post by cel76 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:31 pm

Global Communication - 76:14 is an incredible album

14:31 deserves to be in my 'songs you never get bored of' thread really. It's nearly 10 years old.

Back to top Go down

Post by niewien on Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:49 pm

"The Richest Man in Babylon" by Thievery Corporation. Unbelievable relaxed

Back to top Go down

Post by JAM on Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:08 pm

cel76 wrote:Global Communication - 76:14 is an incredible album

14:31 deserves to be in my 'songs you never get bored of' thread really. It's nearly 10 years old.

YES! one of those albums that has to listened to as a whole, and is a truly unique listening experience. excellent choice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Quicksand227 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:33 am

Trying to limit myself to albums that might be less known on here:

El Trío De Omar Rodríguez-López - Ciencia De Los Inútiles
King Crimson - Discipline
Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries
Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content